Friday, March 14, 2014

#Read26Indy Book 6: Boy Meets Boy

The he says, "I'll see you around." 
I want to say I hope so, but suddenly I'm afraid of being too forward. I can flirt with the best of them--but only when it doesn't matter.
This suddenly matters.


Boy Meets Boy was recommended to me in a writing class as a good example of YA fiction. The main character is Paul, a high school boy who is remarkably well adjusted. In his town, the star quarterback is also the homecoming queen, and the only person upset by that is a boy she rejected. Paul meets Noah at a bookstore where his friend is DJ'ing, because that kind of thing happens in this town. But of course it can't be easy and Paul screws it up and has to try to win Noah back. Meanwhile, Paul's best friend Tony is learning how to stand up for himself with his conservative parents. 

It's a quick read, well-written and funny. Throughout the book I was reminded of Francesca Lia Block, in the way that she created slightly improved versions of the real world for her stories. I was pleased to discover, in the afterward, that David Levithan credited her as an influence. I grew up on Block's novels - I can still remember picking up her Weetzie Bat books from the library. It's so nice to know others were as affected by her writing as I was.