Tuesday, December 9, 2014

2015 Will Be... More of the Same, and That's Awesome (#ThinkKit Day 9)

#ThinkKit Day 9:

Just Can't Wait

 
The calendar still says 2014, but let's push forward. What are you looking forward to in 2015? Is there an event, special occasion, or reunion that you're counting down the days until? Planning a trip? A life change? A move? Or maybe it's the simple pleasures – the release of a movie, something or someone hitting a stage near you. ? Is there an event, special occasion, or reunion that you're counting down the days until? Planning a trip? A life change? A move? Or maybe it's the simple pleasures – the release of a movie, something or someone hitting a stage near you. 

It's funny - I nearly always have something on the horizon that I'm looking forward to - a trip, or a concert, or the culmination of some big crazy goal. But when I read the #ThinkKit prompt this morning I realized that what I'm most looking forward to in 2015 is continuing the things I love. Nothing huge, nothing flashy. 

2014 was a huge year of change for me and I am ready for some calm. I'm ready to hunker down and build on the things I've started this year to make them great, to improve upon them. Like: 

Running - This year I ran a marathon. I don't have anything quite that ambitious planned for 2015, at least not yet. But I have signed up for something that sounds really fun - next May I'll be traveling to Cape Cod with a team of vegan runners to do a 200 mile relay race. It'll be awesome to get to know other folks that care about the same things that I do, and to run somewhere I've never been before. 

Outside of that race, I'm looking forward to training to get faster, and to running distances more smoothly. It's an odd thing but I still don't feel quite right calling myself a runner since I've only been doing it regularly for the last 6 months. I look forward to being able to call myself a runner without hesitating or adding a qualifying statement.

Writing - This year I finally started writing on a more or less consistent basis and I look forward to keeping that going, and working out my pattern so that it's something I naturally do every day. I'm looking forward to finishing the first draft of the novel I started this year. I've promised myself a unicycle when I finish that first draft, so I have an incentive. I should probably up my health insurance in preparation. 



Music - This is where I confess my very bad habit of buying musical instruments that I never learn how to properly play. I have a violin sitting in it's case, but at least I took lessons on and off for a couple years so it sounds slightly less like a cat in heat when I fiddle around with it. I also have a guitar, on which I can play exactly one Jewel song and nothing else. I have a mandolin, a fiddle, and a keyboard that I can't play at all, yet I refuse to get rid of. So when some wonderful and wise friends saw me eyeing a banjo earlier this year they intervened and lent me their banjo instead. I've played around with it a little, but I'm determined that in 2015 I will actually learn to play a few songs. 

I'm sure that next year will throw me some curveballs, but for now I'm looking forward to making it the year of improvements and building. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me something good.