Sunday, December 14, 2014

Do-Over (#ThinkKit Day 12)

Day 12 is another guest blog by a fictional character:

Mulligan

 
We've put another quarter in the slot – free play! Hit the reset button on a moment this year: what would you do over? Whether or not you analyze your actions – how would you act differently? Would the outcomes shift, or stay the same? From a single sentence to a whole day (and everything in-between), feel free to explain your choice, from how you felt immediately after the moment passed, to any thoughts that ran through your mind beforehand. Take a mulligan! 


If I could do one thing over, I would never have got on this spaceship.

It seemed like the only option at the time. I had no job prospects, and I needed to get off that stupid rock. The ship needed a botanist, and I'd worked enough in the vertical farms back home to fit the bill.

I signed the travel contract, of course. You have to before they'll let you on board. But no one really expects to have to follow through on the fine print.

I didn't really care where the ship was going, but it was headed to a new colony, one that had only been settled a decade or so before. Pretty new in terms of worlds.

When we got close, I could tell something was wrong. They shuttered all the windows on the ship, blaming some kind of solar flare, but I knew they didn't want us to see. Then something hit the ship, hard, and the warning sirens blared.

The announcement came on: "Everyone please proceed to gather up arms. We are now at war."

I never wanted to fight anyone. But here I am, holding a gun in my hands and waiting for whoever the enemy is to come down the ship's hall to where I am.

I wish I'd never got on this ship.