Wednesday, December 3, 2014

LOL The Whole Way Down (#ThinkKit Day3)

Deck the LOLs
Let's loosen up: share a side-splitting story from the last year. What made you laugh out loud until tears formed? What made you giggle every time it was referenced? Whether it's a story, an image, a video – we want to hear about the banana peel on the floor, your best practical joke, or gems from the mind of a three-year-old. Whether it's sassysarcastic, or just plain sillymake us laugh!

This prompt. Guys, this question is like the exact opposite of "Don't think of an elephant!" The moment someone says hey, tell me a funny story, anything funny I ever experienced or heard of from some guy disappears like poof. I pondered on it. Asked my friends if anything this year had been remotely funny. I'm not a robot, I'm sure I laughed at some point, and heartily, but nothing came to mind.

But then I realized I was overthinking it, and - what's more hilarious than people falling down? Absolutely nothing, based on all the comedies I've seen (or been forced to watch) over my lifetime. Maybe fart jokes, but I don't have any of those because I AM A LADY. I do, however, have a dubious relationship with gravity.

A couple months ago I went on my first solo backpacking excursion, and it was everything I had hoped it would be. I hiked through the woods, enjoying the crisp October air, marveling at how amazing nature is. My backpack was just the right weight (take THAT, lady from Wild, I thought) and I was getting my Henry David Thoreau on. I passed only a handful of people the entire day and was enjoying the solitude. It was so scenic that I thought that, even though I was sure I couldn't really capture it, I should take a couple photos.

So I pulled out my phone (it still had signal, which really interfered with me pretending I was way out in nature) and went to take a photo. Only, I didn't stop walking. You see where this is going. Lining up the perfect imagine in my phone's viewfinder, I stepped forward and - bam! - tripped myself, landing on my knee (ouch). My backpack, whose straps I hadn't bothered to secure because why would I need to do that, slide forward and banged me mightily on the head, making me see little birdies that weren't there. And I fell down awkwardly onto the ground. It was... hilarious. Even I could see that. Especially I, since there was no one to notice. It was the opposite of the moment you trip on nothing walking down the street and hope no one sees you. This was so impressively dumb that I wished there had been someone there to witness and laugh with me. I hope that at least a couple squirrels were judging me from above. I sat down on the ground and laughed so hard at my lack of coordination that there were little tiny tears in my eyes. I still laugh when I think about it. I'm laughing now. Mission accomplished, #ThinkKit.

I took my life in my hands to photograph this salamander. You're welcome.

And if you didn't find that story remotely funny, then I offer you this video as an apology. It's Paula Poundstone talking about cats. That never fails to deliver.