Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Haiku for the Monon Trail (#ThinkKit Day6)

Today's #ThinkKit prompt:

Third Place

Work, home, and _____. Where was your third place this year? Did you like it, love it, ...or was it out of obligation? What feeling, sense, or vibe did you get from your third place? If someone can't imagine the scene, give the lay of the land in words. Is there natural light? Is there a certain smell? Bring us inside.

This year I spent a whole lot of time on the Monon Trail, but instead of writing a blog about it, I decided to write a haiku. Just because.

Monon Trail Haiku

This was the summer
that I moved near the Monon
and ran for hours

This trail would become
my second home, my third place
running miles and miles

I was on this trail
the day I finally reached
twenty freaking miles

The trail felt like home:
the runners and cyclists who
smile when they pass

The old man who walks
every day along the trail
carrying hand weights

The fat little squirrels 
so unafraid of people
on their quest for nuts

Nothing scared me off:
not dog poo or creepy guys
I just carry mace.